Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 25 - Troy to Circleville, OH

We've been fortunate the last two evenings to stay in Holiday Inn Express facilities. The Super 8s out west were generally quite good, but they seem to be a little hit or miss as we move east. We had to deal with something new last evening - a water main in Troy broke and we were instructed, along with everyone else, to not drink the water unless it was boiled. The hotel did a nice job of providing bottled water, but it was nice this morning to hear that the "boil advisory" had been lifted. So we started our day with clean water, as far as we know, and a decent breakfast inside at the hotel. Temps were already 78 at 7 am, so we knew that we were in for a hot and humid ride. The hope was that we'd get the tailwind that was forecast, but not the storms.




I was tired this morning. It has become more difficult each morning to make the transition from bed to bike, but I'm doing it. This morning, I started out a little grudgingly, but things got better as I teamed up with two other riders through the first 15 miles or so. I learned later that one of my fellow riders, Ann, who is also an avid runner, once ran 143 miles in a 24 period. I don't know about you, but that amazes me. Anyway, I rode with Ann and Brian until the tandem, being ridden by Craig and John caught up to us with four other riders in tow. I didn't hesitate to jump on the back of the train and had a great time as we flew over the rollers for the next 15 miles. My mood went from good to great in no time.

We had picture day at the first stop this morning. We all posed individually with our bikes. With the heat and humidity, the sweat was pouring down my face, so it will be interesting to see the pictures. At the stop, one of the other riders let the pair riding the tandem know that he had placed a brick inside their seat bag! I thought it was picture-worthy. Wes, in the middle, is the one who hid the brick.






We enjoyed our first legitimate descents in days and I managed to snap a picture from the bike of some riders enjoying gravity's gift. We'll have plenty more opportunities over the next three days to climb and descend as we leave Ohio and head into West Virginia. I think my legs are ready - I just hope we don't have the heat we had today. The thermometer on one of the support trailers read 102 F in the shade in the parking lot at the hotel when we arrived. We had a decent tailwind today, which reduces the work load, but doesn't provide much cooling. One of the more uncomfortable moments was having to stop at a traffic light just outside Circleville, where we got to enjoy the full effect of the heat advisory waiting for the light to change.

We arrived in town well before the hotel was able to accept us, so many of us diverted to a great little coffee shop for smoothies and other drinks. It was funny, but because it was so cold inside, and we were all soaked from the humidity, no one wanted to stay inside too long. Hence the photo of some fellow riders "chilling" in the shade on the coffee shop patio. While we were in the coffee shop I saw that there was a severe weather warning for some county in Ohio. Not knowing which county we were in, I asked one of the ladies at the shop where we were on the weather map and she assured me that the storm was well north of us. As it turns out, she makes much better smoothies than weather forecasts. Not long after we got to the hotel, the skies went black and we got the full late afternoon midwestern thunder and lightning treatment. Luckily, all the bags and bikes were safely inside the hotel even though not all the rooms were ready.

I've seen some interesting water towers along the way on this trip, but the Circleville tower may be the best. I guess it's a pumpkin. We have all noticed that as we move east we're seeing more grand old homes in the small towns, much larger cemeteries, and town squares as opposed to simple main streets. But somethings are apparently the same everywhere. I had to purchase a few things tonight after dinner and braved the traffic on the busy road between the hotel and the Super Walmart. Could have been any Walmart in any town in America...

We've got five days left. I can genuinely say that I'm exhausted. Fortunately, there will be some changes in scenery and terrain over the next few days and then we'll start smelling the barn as they say. I hope to have some better pictures from West Virginia and the Commonwealth.

3 comments:

  1. Smelling the barn? Funny, I was just telling Dave before the Wednesday night ride (yes, Scott it is Wednesday again already) that I'll bet you are energized by seeing the end of your trip so close at hand. Dave just gave me a look that suggested that he "smelled the barn" each night with you after you guys had checked into the hotel room. Anyways, you are close for sure and we all know you will be touring Colonial Williamsburg real soon. Hey, did you know they offer a bike tour of Williamsburg and nearby Jamestown. Gonna do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes is still sporting those fashionable short shorts.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Wes may have actually trimmed the shorts a bit more... Probably going to pass on the bike tour at Jamestown.

    ReplyDelete