Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Q & A as promised, but not promptly delivered

I offered quite a few days ago to answer questions people might have along the way. I apologize it has taken so long to get to those questions. I had no idea just how exhausted I would be after the many long rides we had over the last ten days. Our shorter day gives me an opportunity to respond to the more serious questions (Sorry, Smith...)

Doug asked how I manage to get motivated each day. This is something I've thought about quite a bit. I've also talked to a number of other riders. I think the routine is important. It is easier to focus on riding because that's really all you have to do. We don't have to pack away a tent, worry about where or what we might have for breakfast. We don't even worry about what we're going to wear! And everyone is in the same boat, so you know there are people who are just as tired and sore as you are. In general, people have had great attitudes and that is infectious.

A few of the riders who have ridden across the country with other tours have said that they wouldn't recommend this as the first transcontinental experience for anyone, even a seasoned rider, because it's not really a tour, it's a crossing. On the other hand, doing fewer miles per day would make the trip that much longer in terms of time away from family and work. For me, the experience has been great and while the 130+ mile days have been challenging, they have also been rewarding.

A couple people asked about the other riders and their backgrounds. We have the whole mix of folks. Clearly, these are people who love to ride their bikes and many of them have crossed this and other countries by bike before. They are serious about riding, but not in ways that have made the experience seem too competitive or adversarial. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've ridden with the faster groups, by myself, and with virtually everyone else on the ride. In virtually every case, it has been a good experience.

Doug asked since I'm doubling up on the shorts am I applying chamois cream to both chamois. It hasn't gotten the that point yet, but I wouldn't be averse to trying that if I thought it would ward off problems. I think the issue when riding this many miles day after day is that every little issue with your body has the potential to become significant. Things are good for me for the most part. One problem that I worried about was how my neck and shoulders would handle all these miles, but other than a little tightness now and again, it hasn't been a big issue. On the other hand, or should I say foot, my big toes on both feet seem to fall asleep a lot, even when I'm off the bike. My hands are also feeling it. I had a water bottle next to the bed last night and woke up to have a drink only to discover that it took considerable effort to squeeze the bottle to have a drink.

Someone else asked if I was feeling stronger as the ride progressed. I'm not really sure. Because there seems to be times when exhaustion sets in and others when I feel energized, I'm not sure. I've found myself riding with some of the faster riders more often, but I can't tell if that's because I'm getting stronger or they're dialing it back a little. I probably won't be able to gauge the real impact on my fitness until after the ride and I get back to Omaha and let the body recover more fully.

I hope this answers at least some of the questions. I appreciate your interest in my efforts and your best wishes for my safety along the way. Which reminds me, I watched a young man roll through a four-way stop at a rural intersection today as he was texting. I saw him and stopped, but I'm not sure if he even bothered to see me. Texting while driving is crazy dangerous, not just for cyclists, but for pedestrians and other motorists. Just thought I'd add that public service spot while I was at it. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Was that Gary's bedside waterbottle from BRAN? Thanks for answering questions and doing your regular post in a second blog today. We enjoy reading it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was off the bike for five days after I got back home. I have some residual numbness and loss of strength in left hand. When i got on the bike yesterday for a short ride, the legs were stiff.

    Embrace the challenge! You are doing a great job!
    We all salute your achievement every day.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete