Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 19 - Denison to Colfax, Iowa

It was a little odd getting started this morning without Dave, but the routine has almost become second nature. We started off with the standard oatmeal, bagels, danishes and also enjoyed some scrambled eggs with peppers. Forecasts called for another warm day with a moderate headwind. The prospect of a headwind for 134 miles does make one consider crawling back in bed or sagging in one of the support vehicles, but off we went into the cool morning air. I think I've lost some weight on the ride despite eating everything I get my hands on and this picture may prove it... I'm a shadow of my former self. And that's the last thing that was funny about today! (At least I think it's funny...)

After some initial climbing out of the Denison area, the world turned flat. The roads ran from poor to almost dangerous. While the traffic yesterday was modest and drivers were courteous, there was more traffic today and the drivers, especially the truckers, were apparently angry that they had to work on a Thursday. The best was the gravel hauler who couldn't wait to pass and nearly created a head-on with another semi coming in the opposite direction. I guess he was worried the rocks he was carrying would spoil if he delayed his trip a few seconds. But the roads left the lasting impression... my body felt as if I'd been rolled in a barrel or tumbled in a dryer for a couple of hours. (Oddly enough, the Felt didn't creak once...)

In the midst of all the jolting roads and ear drum shattering air horns, we did ride on some new, smooth pavement where one of the weirdest things I've experienced on a bike happened. I was third wheel in a pace line with Bob Lewis at the front. Bob keeps a steady pace and we were moving along at about 17 or 17.5 mph into a light headwind over new asphalt. The temperature, the breeze, the whirring of the tires were... well... very soothing. My legs were turning the pedals over, but I actually felt myself nodding off. I've done this in the car before (who hasn't?) but never on a bike. I guess I need a little more rest? The only picture worthy scenery besides some calves butting heads and a beautiful young horse running along with us, which I wasn't able to capture with the camera, was the Des Moines River, unless I missed something during my nap...


The day ended with my group and couple of other riders independently making a wrong turn and having to backtrack into Colfax. The GPS on the Blackberry came in handy as we tried to sort out our error and avoid additional miles. So, feeling beat up and tired, I made it to Colfax and arrived at the Comfort Inn to find that at least for this evening, I have a room to myself. I walked across the street to the MacDonalds and enjoyed an Angus Burger with a large fries and a giant iced tea. And best of all after finishing my meal, I returned to the hotel for an hour long massage! After 19 days in the saddle, my legs, shoulders, feet, and hands were a bundle of knots. I thought about getting a picture of me on the massage table, but decided instead to show the remnants of my feast at the golden arches. I meant to take one before the meal, but was so hungry I forgot.

The last picture this evening is of the map that is displayed outside one of the support trailers each evening. It tracks our progress across the country. Things tend to blur together on the ride, so it is good to have the map to put things in perspective. We've gone quite a distance, but have much more to go.

3 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I think you can take a nap on your bike, it's the grove your in. Watch out for those truckers.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott and Dave for letting me share a small slice of your adventure with you. My 50 miles with you on Tuesday was not even half of the ride you did on that day alone. I was impressed for how you guys rode in the heat and wind that day which was after two of your hardest days! I was most certainly impressed!! For those reading this blog who have not had the opportunity to see the PAC Tour group in action, I can tell you it is a well oiled machine and that the riders are very seasoned. Dave and Scott are much better riders than me, but there were several riders who were about an hour ahead of them as I waited in Lesterville, South Dakota. Impressive. Yet, for all their ability and experience, I could see the day/trip was taking its toll on all of them. I went to dinner in Vermillion with Dave, Scott and two ladies who had each ridden across the country before, but with America By Bike instead of PAC Tour. ABB does the trip in about 6 weeks as opposed to the 30 days of this group. Both ladies said they would not have wanted to do this pace on their first tour across the country, so Dave and Scott are to be congratulated for taking on this huge challenge. Best of luck to Scott as he ventures on and atta boy Dave for doing more than 1/2 of the country at that pace. I was tired after 50 miles so I know I could not have done what you did. But, as for Scott, I gave you the wrong quote from the wrong Rocky movie. Instead, I should have given you the quote from Rocky IV where Appollo Creed's ex-coach was training Rocky to take on the pain to be dished out by the big Russian who killed Appollo. His words to Rocky as they were beating on his stomach were "no pain" so that he could be psychologically prepared to take on the punishment that would be dished out. So, Scott, as you push on, I say to you, "no pain." (I also still say I don't want to be you--but I do envy you for being able to do it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nodding off while cycling - that is a new one. Although I do remember from my history books stories of soldiers who fell asleep while marching and woke up and were still marching. Entering an altered state of consciousness wouldn't be surprising on this ride, but a state of unconsciousness is probably not so good.

    Soldier on!

    ReplyDelete