Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 21 - Mount Pleasant, Iowa to Pekin, Illinois


The physical impact of averaging over a hundred miles a day for the last three weeks is being felt in two seemingly contradictory ways. On the one hand, my body is worn down and I'm sometimes even a little unsteady while walking after the day is done. On the other, I can feel myself getting stronger.

The psychological and emotional impact is interesting as well. While I am amazed at what I've been able to handle, I'm also on the edge mentally and emotionally. I start each ride by checking the cue sheet and especially the distance. This morning, for example, I had it in my head that we were "only" doing 132 miles, which I thought was a nice relief from the 141 yesterday. The weather forecast was good and while we wouldn't enjoy much of a push from a tail wind, we wouldn't be fighting into a head wind either. For some reason though, when I checked the cue sheet and saw that I was in error, that we were actually doing 139 miles, I sank into a foul mood. It was only 7 miles... but I was emotionally worn down.

It was especially important not to have bad conditions today. I'm sure I would have done the miles, but it would have been a horrible day. As it was, I rode through my dark mood. I cut the ride up mentally into slices. As I do on most days, I'll note when we only have a century left. And then I'll work on focusing on the next stop or lunch. The scenery and roads were better today as well and we saw some interesting things as we left Iowa and entered Illinois. By the end of the ride, around mile 117 I missed a turn and rode an extra two miles as a result. By then I was feeling good physically and emotionally, even though I was exhausted.

We crossed the Mississippi River at Fort Madison, Iowa. The first picture is downtown Fort Madison, which is nice, but like a lot of small midwestern towns seemingly struggling to keep its population and its commerce. The bridge we crossed to get to Illinois was the old BNSF bridge that has a car deck above the rail deck. We crossed the bridge and then stopped for a picture at the Welcome to Illinois sign. I posed in my maize and blue! I even got a "Go Blue!" from a passing car. After riding through some nice rural areas, we saw one of the state's growth industries... a correctional facility. Finally, we crossed the Illinois river and I stopped to get a picture of the barges from the bridge at Pekin, where we are spending the evening.

5 comments:

  1. Michigan conquers Illinois!
    Good work!
    Remember to pace yourself and take care of your nutrition.
    Everyone back in Omaha is behind you!
    I guess that means Scott Tarry has dropped US!

    Dave posting from his daughter's computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some who might think it is criminal for a UNO professor to be wearing a Michigan outfit. (Oops, did I say outfit instead of kit?) If so, you should fit in well with the growth industry there in Illinois. But just a heads up, when the motorist said Go Blue, what he meant was for you to go get out of the Illni state. From your picture of Fort Madison, it looked like there was a group of riders with you. Good! Hopefully they, too, helped get you out of your funk today. Lean on them too as you go through your trying times. If you do struggle again, remember the Abraham Lincoln quote I told you about which was in the John Wooden biography i was reading when I hooked up with you: "Things work out the best for those who make the best of the way things work out." It's your amazing ride--make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the great work a-hole. Wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they sell mens clothes where you got that Michigan garb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott,
    The mental aspect sometimes is the toughest battle to win. Remember, it's all downhill from here.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete